Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Jobs

So I am a bit down at the moment, I just got another letter from AIMS saying 'thanks for your application but unfortunately you were unsuccessful this time'. It is like the third or fourth time I have applied for this position I loose count a bit. So no Benthic Ecologist position for me this time round.

This leads to the Question though What the hell am I going to do when the position I am currently in runs out at the end of next August. the honest answer is that I have absolutely no idea. It's rather hard when you work in an industry that has fairly few prospects and limited resources. I still want to work in Science. I am suited for it my brain just works that way, also you get to meet interesting people and go to some of the most spectacular places. Tom was right when he said that even though you do not get the financial rewards you get rewarded in other ways that are much better ( the lack of funds though does on ocasion make it hard to live though).

Still on the optimistic side I do have just under a year to try and find something. Who knows I might be able to apply for the Benthic ecologist position at AIMS agian ;) I can make it like a tradition every time that job is advertised I can apply. Then thereis the fact that you never know what the future hold and you are better off enjoying the ride rather than worrying about the destination.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I apologise in advance for the length of this comment. Perhaps I should've just posted it on my website...

At least you got the truth, I applied for a postdoc at an Australian university recently and received a letter saying, "we will not be appointing anyone at this time", only to find out later that the partner of the person who adversited the job was appointed. Talk about nepotism!

As for your statement, "It's rather hard when you work in an industry that has fairly few prospects and limited resources". I no longer believe this is the case: there are a LOT of jobs going at the moment (at nrmjobs.com.au for example). The thing is, you need to put in strong applications. Obviously you don't have the required experience in flipping dugong steaks, to go with your PhD in penguin scrubbing, that AIMS requires.

Sure, they say it's "Marine Science", but we all know the awful truth. They're 'Making Sausages' - dolphin sausages to be precise. See here for more on the subject:
http://tomandzoe.com/log/?p=243