Monday, July 31, 2006

Scary but still Fun

So I get into work this morning and I have 3 emails from the Quoll organisers. the First 1 says that I have registered in the 34hr Quoll adventure race. I imediately start to write to them to say I have actually registered in the 14hr event. Then I stop and think wait maybe they know. I read the second email "Sorry Lewis thanks for registering in the 16hr event". I am now confused I didn't know there was a 16hr event. Oh no they have increased the size of the race. Time to ring Min let her know the "good" news.
The 3rd email lets me know more detail about the race and what we should take etc. but it also tells me about an unusual scoring system for a race, quote "We are using a combination scoring system to add to the challenge of the event". You know we need more of a challenge than running through the bush for 16hr.
Anyway the scoring system goes like this. Scoring will be based on the number of minutes available for each stage of the event. For example, a 3 hour stage will have 180 minutes available. The checkpoints on the course will each be worth differing numbers of minutes. Each team will start the stage at -180 minutes, each checkpoint your team collects decreases the number of minutes you are in the negative by the value of that checkpoint. The aim being to end up at 0 minutes by the end of the stage if you “clear the course”. There are no credits for coming in from a stage early unless you have collected all checkpoints for that stage, in which case you will be given a time credit of the number of minutes you are early to the end of that stage. There will however be a time penalty for being late – 2 minutes for every 1 minute you are late (ie if you are 10 minutes late your penalty will be 20 minutes).
All joking aside this is going to be fun there are paddling stages and running stages and biking stages. This means that It is going to have to be close to a lake or dam. I'm hoping that it is near lake tinnaroo that is some awesome countryside. It's on this weekend so early next week I can post about the big event.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope you enjoy the weekend, Lewis. Bernie and I are taking Glen and Chiara to Canberra to see the sights. We will be walking, too, around the zoo, but not as far, or as long as you.