Thursday, October 12, 2006

Fun and Cars

So last weekend was rather lagre I had paddling rowing paddling and I was trying to buy a car. So first the excersise. I have been rowing for a little while (4 weeks) which has been fun and a great learning experience. I now know a little about rowing. Well on Saturday it was the culmination of 4 weeks of rowing. We have been training and having measurable improvement each training session and saturday was the final regatta for Corporate rowing. It was a lot of fun. There were two heats that they combined and averaged to figure out which of the four finals you would go in. our team has impoved so much that we got into the townsville cup which was the 3rd ranked final the problem was that we were about the slowest team in that final. So we headed off for a longish warnup (2km) andgot centred for the race. there was quite a dely on the start line but finally we were away and Min's first comment was "were doing well guys" then "were doing bloody well" (she was starting to get excited) then "Where ahead" in a surprised voice. From then on the was a constant stream of word some of which were updates on our position and the rest were just cheering and pain in the bum ( the seats on those rowing boats leave alot to be desired). We crossed the line a whole boat at least in front of the next team and won the Tonsville cup. It was quite a good little day really. Involving a few races and sitting on the grass talking and then a couple of beers after the event.
Earlier that morning I had actually paddled to Rows bay from the strand probably about 10km but the fun bit was I got to steer the Canoe. This steering gig is alot harder than it seems but fun none the less. It will be good to learn how to get the most out of a crew and the canoe itself. I still want to keep paddling though so I am trying to steer half the time and paddle the rest. I think I need to get some tips from some more experienced people about steering this will give me some things to practice while steering. Anyway it's a new challenge within paddling and something that is very interesting to try. I think that all paddlers should try steering even if they don't like it just so they can appreciate the job that is done by the other members in the canoe.
Sunday then invloved a paddle from the strand to Bushland beach which is about 30km. Then at bushland beach we derig the canoes and pack up get changed and have lunch at the bushland beach pub. It was an awesome day good atmosphere and a social event with a difference.
Through all of this I was trying to organise to buy a car. It was a 1998 Turbo diesel Rodeo for $5000 but i couldn't get the details that I needed from the seller so I had to abandon the idea. I have some better Ideas now of what I will need from the seller when I do try and buy a car though. You definately need the VIN and you want to get the car checked out buy NRMA or RACQ or similar. You then need to do the search for the VIN (which costs like $20-$40). Once you have done these things you have the history of the vechile and you know if it's mechanically sound.
Well at least I know what I have to do, now I just have to do it.

No comments: