Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Wall Clocks

I've been thinking that Min and I should get a wall clock to replace the clock we have. The clock we have is nice and all buuutttt... The problem as I see it though is that all wall clocks are essentially the same, a round dial with hands pointing out the time. the only real difference is in the trimmings. In Short, They're boring!

So I searched the interwebulons for something different. I found a few that quite appealed to me, and some that were at least different.

The above clock would have to be my favorite. Very Steam Punk just need a few of the cogs to be made of brass. While it's still round it reverses the movement in most clocks with the face moving around the hand.


This one rotates and the ball tells you the time. At 12 the ball goes through the hole in the middle and comes out the bottom to start the cycle again. Very Ingenious!


Now we have what would have to be my second favorite. Each of the little white sticks rotate. Each group will line up every 12 hours to form a word that correspond to the time. In the picture above the time would either be 4am or pm and you can see a messy 'three' and 'five' above and below the current time. Unfortunately this is a One off art project, so it's a little hard to get a hold of. Considering it has 180 different rotating pieces each with it's own movement it's also hard to make yourself.


Penultimately it a wall clock that is probably not great at being a display piece but might be handy, say, in the kitchen somewhere.


Finally we have the Vertick. This would be a nice display and tells you the time accurately. I do wonder what happens at 12:59 though.

No comments: