Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Cargo Bikes

Well I've found some inspiration on "da Interwebs" today. I've been thinking about bikes, what I use them for and what type of bike I should get. It's pretty obvious that the vast magority of my cycling is commuting and transport. Despite the fun I derive from racing and weekend sojourns to the trails around town I really should at least look at tailoring my ride to commuting.

My current bike has done probably about 40 000 km over the last 8-9 years. Its a Specialized FSR (I wouldn't spell it with a z but it is a brand name). It has been an awesome bike. I commute almost daily to work and carry stuff in my crumpler bag (This can get limiting sometimes). It is comfy to ride and fast enough that I can keep up with road bikes if they are not being to serious. I can take dirt tracks and gutters without slowing. I have even entered a number of races in it, never serious, mainly for the challenge. In short I've found it an excellent commuter and a great way to get around cities. However recent advances in bike design and technology and the slow but inevitable decline in the condition of my bike has led me to ponder: What next?

The bike I covert is a Salsa 'Big Mamma'. More efficient suspension design, disc brakes and bigger wheels would make this and even faster commuter and most of all a much faster race bike. Much like my current bike though I face the problem of how to carry all the stuff you need through the day. For example on Mondays and wednesdays I need to Take work clothes, paddling clothes, paddle, food for lunch and after paddling. All of this gets a bit much to fit into my poor little crumpler bag and also can get rather heavy on your shoulder.

What about commuting though wasn't I going to look at commuting options  and bikes that could carry something. OK. A search for Cargo Bikes brought up this neat little article on commuting by bike and the problem with most bikes in Australia being designed for or after racing bikes. It pointed the way to the Surly Big Dummy. This bike instantly spoke to me. It said "load me up and lets go somewhere". This is definitely a commuting bike as well as a touring bike as well as.......sorry getting carried away there. It is  an interesting bike though.

"What was the inspiration" you ask. Well I continued my search for Cargo Bikes and it brought me to this page. http://www.rideyourbike.com/cargo.html a brilliat display of carrying stuff with bikes. I decided my favourite though is this guy towing a boat with his pushie.





I wonder how much I could carry with the Big Dummy??


No comments: