Wednesday, May 14, 2008

OC1 Race

Well it's been a week or so since the OC1 race I had at the last regatta. It was a tougher paddle than I thought it'd be. For starters there was a strong wind warning and there was about 1.5m of chop all across the bay. Also My canoe is what's known as a small volume boat ie. it doesn't provide a great deal of extra buoyancy for floatation. This means that in a race where waves are a significant factor my canoe was behaving more like a submarine than a canoe. At one point I was completely underwater, a wave hit and went straight over me rather than my canoe going over the top. The extra drag from all of the water in on and around the canoe means that I didn't go very fast.

To be fair It's not all the Canoes fault, I haven't been out in big conditions like that and practised so I couldn't get the best out of my canoe. I still think there are two factor than would help me go fast though. A Large Volume boat like the Bladerunner canoes and more training for me.

After these things are sorted then I'll be unstoppable I'll, not come second last like this time. Oh well.

I am looking forward to the next race though which will be Hammo. A 250m sprint and an 8km Marathon.

No comments: