Friday, April 20, 2007

Hinchenbrook

So I thought that if i didn't say something about my trip to Hinchenbrook soon I never would. Here is a breif description of the trip.
This whole trip really started at the end of last year when I was booking the places on the Island and booking the ferry. Karina (from the latest rogaine) decided much later that she would like to come along on the trip as well. the problem was that by thetime that she got organised the were no places left on the Island over easter (as there are only 30 people allowed on Hinchenbrook at any one time). Easter must just be a popular time.
It all worked out in the end though as Karina was able to get a spot from soome one who cancelled there trip.
Min, Karina and I went onto the Island at about 4pm on Easter friday. We were due to leave the Island on 12pm Easter Monday so there wasn't actually all that long for us to do the walk.
On the first afternoon we walked to Mulligan falls. camped and had a swim. Cooked our food and went to bed. You know the usuall stuff. Through the night though the wind came up and there was a breif storm. Not hard to deal with you reckon. Well it wouldn't have been but since there are three of us and I onld have a two man tent I had brought along my experimental (read unfinnished) Hammock. This brilliant piece of work has yet to be give a fly or water proof covering. So that first night I slept sondly untill 6am when the rain started and I woke up to a wet face and had to quickely put away my hammock and sleeping bag.
The walks through the day were brilliant great scenery and two great people to talk to all day. We took some stunning photo's of the walk and you can see them if you click on the Photo's link on the side bar.
The nights on the other hand we not so fun. My hammock, while comfy, was not condusive to a full nights sleep as for the next two nights it rained at least once every hour and a half. so I didn't get much in the way of sleep. At least I woke the other two up as well because i often had to hide in the tent for a while waiting for the rain to stop.
The second night we stopped at Zoe bay, where there is an awesome swimming spot. and the third night we stopped at Little Ramsey bay underneath the imposing presence of Mt Bowen. The walk from Zoe to Little Ramsey was the longest streatch that we had to do (6Hr) and also involved crossing a swamp through which Karina managed to provide suitable entertainment (ie. falling in sinking up to her knees etc.). Min nearly fell over laughing when Karina sank to her knees in mud then lost her shoes in there as well.

I highly recomend the walk but take awaterproof sleeping vessel.

No comments: